Topics Map > Accounts and Passwords
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Exchange
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Email
Email, How to set up email redirection
This page contains information about how to use the Email Redirection service for your Illinois email.
Please note: We cannot control what happens to email when you forward or redirect it to another email provider. We've seen cases where email sent to @illinois.edu and redirected to another domain, e.g. @yahoo.com, has been tagged as spam by the receiving email domain. We are not responsible for missing mail to your personal email after it has been forwarded.
We encourage all University affiliates to use their provided campus mailbox to ensure all University email is properly delivered. In additon, by law your @illinois.edu business email is is subject to audit meaning that if you use your personal email account for @illinois.edu business then that account is also subject to audit.
How to Change Where Your Email Messages Are Delivered
Follow these steps to change where your email messages are delivered.
- Go to the Electronic Directory Editor (EDE).
- Log in to the EDE with your NetID and NetID password.
- Once you have logged in to the EDE, find the mail field and replace it with one of the following:
- Make sure that you type this email address correctly, or you will not receive your email.
- Important: Do not leave this field blank or you will not receive your email!
- To receive mail to your personal email address:
- Enter your personal email address
- If your university email account is an Exchange inbox, you will also need to follow the steps in this article: Office 365, Email, Exchange, Forwarding Exchange Email to Another Account
- To receive email to your university Google Apps email inbox:
- Enter email@example.com
- To receive email to your university Exchange account (faculty, staff, graduate and professional students with Exchange accounts, or undergraduates with Office 365 accounts):
- DO NOT ENTER YOURNETID@ILLINOIS.EDU
- Click the Apply button at the top or bottom of the EDE webpage
If you're using Microsoft Exchange, you'll also need to follow an Exchange-specific email redirection process: Office 365, Email, Exchange, Forwarding Exchange Email to Another Account.
NOTE: Changes to your email address may take up to 2-4 hrs to propagate to the email relays.