Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Kaltura
Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Flipped Classroom / Micro Lecture Consulting
Kaltura, Using Personal Capture
Kaltura Personal Capture is a program that makes it easy for users to create and upload videos to Kaltura through mediaspace.illinois.edu, Canvas or Moodle, available for Windows or Mac. Recorded videos can be a combination of webcams and/or screen recordings.
If you haven't installed the application you will be asked to choose your operating system, Windows or Mac and download the client. Selecting Add New, then Kaltura Personal Capture will ALWAYS take you to a page to download the client. You only need to download and install it once, but you will see this window each time. We recommend that you access the tool in this way, as opposed to using a desktop shortcut to the application.
- It is possible to use a USB document camera such as the IPEVO Ziggi HD Plus. You must select it as a camera source and we recommend setting the camera to 720p. Example of a USB document camera used with Personal Capture.
- We have received reports of some desktops not being recognized by Personal Capture. We believe it is some combination of VGA display and/or PCI video card. We are working with the vendor on this.
- Personal Capture is only available for Windows and Mac full operating systems. This application will not work in iOS.
- iOS 11 has a new screen recording feature, but it cannot be used at the same time as screen mirroring (either through the internal tool or a lightning to HDMI adapter), so it will not work in a classroom or presentation. But you can record and upload to Kaltura. Details on iOS screen recording.
Unless you set the application to delete after uploading to Kaltura, your recordings are saved locally and can be viewed or reused from the local folder. This is useful when someone wants to edit their recordings for use later. Currently only one source can be downloaded from Kaltura online, so local access is used when the second (or both) video files are needed.
Directions to access your recordings locally are found at: https://knowledge.kaltura.com/kaltura-personal-capture-folder-directory
The files will be in the Recordings folder within personal capture
If you edit recordings from Personal Capture using Adobe Premiere Pro, please be aware that some users receive the error "Error Message The importer reported a generic error.” This is a known issue with Adobe.
- Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Kaltura\Capture
- Mac: /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Kaltura/Capture
- System audio can be recorded on Windows, but not on a Mac.
- Editing must be done online using Kaltura's editor.
- Icons disappearing: In one case one of our Kaltura admins no longer can see the red record button, the Kaltura logo, or some of the other icons in the application on Windows 10. The recorder still functions, but the images are missing.
- Monitors not detected: We have a report of Personal Capture not detecting monitors as a source to record. Our working theory is looking at the video card being a PCI card, or the fact that the signal is analog VGA.