UIUC AnyWare, Uploading and Downloading Files
Instructions for uploading and downloading files in UIUC AnyWare
For more information about the service itself, please visit UIUC AnyWare Overview
There are 3 options available for uploading, downloading and syncing files while using UIUC AnyWare. The recommended option for file management while using UIUC AnyWare is Microsoft OneDrive.
OneDrive (Recommended option for file management)
The UIUC AnyWare service was designed to leverage Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage. Microsoft OneDrive is provided by UIUC campus to all students and should help bridge the gap for your file management while using UIUC AnyWare. When saving files to OneDrive as mentioned, files will sync and also be accessible from OneDrive on the web and also the OneDrive app should you choose to install it on your personal device. OneDrive integration works when connecting to UIUC AnyWare with the Citrix Workspace application and also by browser.
Best practice is to ensure whatever file you are working with is properly saved and sync'd before exiting your UIUC AnyWare session. You can confirm this by logging into OneDrive via web or the OneDrive app if you have it installed.
Please see this article for detailed information about using OneDrive with UIUC AnyWare
Open / Save - Upload / Download
The next two options allow you to open and save files between your local computer and your UIUC AnyWare session (upload and download files). Once you are connected to your virtual desktop or application, you can use data from your local computer including any drives, network or cloud storage that are mapped to your local computer. This is because UIUC AnyWare (Citrix Workspace) creates a connection back to your local computer. You do not need to copy files to a server or email them to yourself.
Files uploaded to UIUC AnyWare are not retained once your session is finished, so any files that you work with during your session will need to be downloaded back to your local machine. The upload and download method is different depending on how you access UIUC AnyWare: Citrix Workspace session vs. Browser session
NOTE: When performing uploads and downloads instead of OneDrive, your files do not sync with OneDrive.
Files you save on UIUC AnyWare systems will be lost at the end of your session. Make sure to download the files you wish to keep.
Connect to UIUC AnyWare with the following instructions: Connecting to UIUC AnyWare.
Then, depending on your method of connection, follow the appropriate steps below:
Citrix Workspace (Recommended method for connecting to UIUC AnyWare)
- Navigate to This PC
- In order to both download and upload files, allow Read/write access when the below warning shows up. You may optionally check the box at the bottom to keep this setting for future sessions.
- You will see your drives appear as below, where Computer Name will show your local computer name.
- Double-click on the relevant drive and interact with it how you would locally.
- Place your mouse over the drop-down menu at the top and center of your screen and click on the Citrix icon
- In the resulting menu click on either the Download icon or the Upload icon to do what you need.
- In the resulting prompt, navigate to the file(s) you wish to upload or download
- If you choose download, then your browser will download the file according to your browser's settings
- If you choose upload, you will receive another prompt asking where you want the file(s) to go on the remote computer
How to get support: