Topics Map > Accounts and Passwords
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Exchange
Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Email
Office 365, Email, Your Email Address and the Email Redirection
This page contains information about how to use the Email Redirection service for your Illinois email.
Please note we cannot control what happens to email when you forward or redirect it to another email provider. We've seen cases where email sent to @illinois.edu and redirected to another domain, e.g. @yahoo.com, has been tagged as spam by the receiving email domain.
We encourage all University affiliates to use their provided Campus mailbox to ensure all University email is properly delivered. Also by law your @illinois.edu business email is is subject to audit so if you use your personal email account for @illinois.edu business then that account is also subject to audit.
NOTE: The current Campus policy allows indefinite forwarding if you graduated after Dec 2012.
When does redirection make sense?
- When you graduate you can redirect to a preferred address or your new institution/work email.
- If you left the university without graduating you can forward email for 1 year from the time your account is deactivated.
- Email messages sent to firstname.lastname@example.org email address are automatically scanned for viruses and spam by Technology Services Spam Control.
How to Change Where Your Email Messages Are Delivered
Follow these steps to change where your email messages are delivered.
- Go to the Electronic Directory Editor (EDE).
- Log in to the EDE with your NetID and NetID password.
- Once you have logged in to the EDE, find the mail field and replace the existing email address with your new email address. Make sure that you type this email address correctly, or you will not receive your email.
Important: Do not leave this field blank or you will not receive your email!
Important: Do not replace the email address in this field with email@example.com, since "firstname.lastname@example.org" is only an alias for whatever address you have in the email field. If you change it to email@example.com, you will not receive email messages because there is no true destination address at which to deliver your email messages. If you wish to change your email redirection to the University provided student Google account, use firstname.lastname@example.org (undergraduates with Google Apps @ Illinois accounts) or for campus Exchange account, use email@example.com (faculty, staff, graduate and professional students with Exchange accounts).
- Click the Apply button at the top or bottom of the EDE webpage, and then log out.
- If you're using Microsoft Exchange, you'll also need to follow an Exchange-specific email redirection process: Office 365, Email, Exchange, Forwarding Exchange Email to Another Account.
NOTE: Changes to your email address may take up to 2-4 hrs to propagate to the email relays.