KB User's Guide - Documents Tab - Purging Content in Trash Queue Documents
Once a KB document has been deleted (e.g. moved into the Trash queue) only someone with "Publish" rights can Purge the document content. This document explains how to Purge a document found in the Trash queue and will tell you what becomes of that content.
Once a document has been deleted, as explained here KB User's Guide - Documents Tab - Changing a Document's Status to "Deleted", you can purge the document from the KB System, entirely.
Purge the Content of a Document with the status of Deleted
- Open the KB Admin Tools and click on the Documents tab.
- Click on the Trash link on the left navigation bar.
- You will see a screen called Deleted Documents, there is a column entitled Purge.
- Locate your intended document. Admins with Publish rights may click the Purge button on the same row. By clicking on Purge button, you will delete all values in the following fields:
- Internal notes
- Group notes
- Up, Previous, Next
- Topic assignment
- Audience assignment
- Misc Options fields are reset to disabled
- Document Revisions
The Show comments and events field will still be populated to indicate that the document was, indeed, Purged.
After you click on the Purge button, you will receive a pop up message. If you are certain you are purging the correct document, then click the OK button.
The image below shows the the date and time a document was Purged in the Show Comments and Events log located at the bottom of the editor screen.
Once you click the OK button in the pop up message, the document number you purged will be:
- seen in the Documents tab > Trash link> Deleted Documents screen
- the document title is renamed to "Document content purged, document ID ready to be reused!
- the document Status will change to Deleted,
- the Purge field will be grayed out.
The "Empty Trash" Button
We have seen how Admins can:
- Move documents to the Trash queue
- Purge all the content in a document found in the Trash Queue.
Admins can Purge documents in the Trash queue in bulk by clicking on the Empty Trash button.
- Navigation: KB Admin Tools > Documents tab > Trash link > Deleted Documents screen. At the bottom right of the screen is the Empty Trash button,
- Upon clicking the Empty Trash button, a message will pop up warning of the decision to purge documents with the Status of Deleted.
- Upon clicking the OK button, all documents that have any kind of content in them will all be Purged.
Please consider your request very carefully as each institution has a document retention policy that it must adhere to. Purging the content of documents in the Trash queue may be in violation of your document retention policy.
The image below shows a Trash queue with 5 documents. 4 documents have been Purged (as indicated by the changed title and the greyed-out Purge button). To Purge the remaining document, the Admin may:
- either click on the Purge button on the same row
- or may click on the Empty Trash button which purges content out of all ALL documents in the Trash queue.
Access to the Trash Queue
Those with Publish rights may open the Trash queue and Edit or Purge documents as needed.
Those without Publish rights
- May open the Trash queue
- May Edit a document in the Trash queue
- May NOT purge documents in the Trash queue (e.g. that button is greyed out)
- May NOT publish a document in the Trash and will need to click on the Request Activation to continue along the workflow (e.g. may NOT publish a document from the Trash.)