Topics Map > VPN
Client Services Support, AITS VPN, Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting the AITS VPN connection
1. Try switching to a different campus VPN server (Urbana or Chicago)
2. Restart your computer and try reconnecting.
3. If you have recently changed your password, try clearing cached VPN credentials by following these steps:
- Click the Windows Start Button in the lower left corner of your desktop and select the gear icon above it to open Settings.
- Choose Network and Internet
- Select VPN from the list on the left
- Select the AITS Urbana VPN Connection
- Click the Advanced Options button
- Choose clear sign-in info
- If this resolves the issue for the Urbana connection, repeat these steps with the AITS Chicago VPN connection
- If this does not resolve the issue and you've had a recent password change, follow the steps in this article next: System Office - Unable to Log into Windows (10 or 11) PC After Netid Password Change
4. Make sure that you’re tunneling all traffic through the VPN (these steps apply to Windows machines and require administrative rights. If you do not have admin rights, skip to the next troubleshooting option or submit a service desk ticket for assistance)):
1. Click the Start button in the lower left corner of your desktop and Select the Gear icon above it to open Settings.
2. Choose Network & Internet
3. Click on Change Adapter Options
4. Right Click on the VPN connection that you are having problems with (AITS Chicago VPN or AITS Urbana VPN). Select Properties from the context menu
5. Select the Networking tab at the top of the properties window
6. Choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties again.
7. Do not change settings in the opened window. Click Advanced...
8. Check the box next to Use default gateway on remote network. Then click OK.
5. Restart networking equipment at home, such as your router/modem (it is a good idea to turn your PC off before you do this and turn it back on after)
1. Power device off
2. wait at least 30 seconds
3. power device back on
6. Try connecting to the AITS VPN from another computer or mobile device (setup instructions for Windows are here: Client Services Support, AITS VPN Connection (Windows)
7. Try the other VPN server again (Chicago or Urbana)