Topics Map > Human Resources > HR Systems
System HR - FMLA Banner Process for Placing Employee on Leave
Placing Someone on Leave
- Complete the PEAFMLA form at the beginning and end of leave
- Verify Leave Period Indicator is set to Qualifying Event.
- Next block to the Leave Balance Allowed block.
- Click the down arrow button to select “Hours” as the FMLA Units Indicator from the list. 480 will default into the Current Maximum FMLA Units Allowed field based upon FTE.
- You must save at this point before the system will allow you to go to the Next Block.
- Next block to Leave Event Record block. To move in this section, use your tab key.
- Enter the Leave Requested Date (mm/dd/yyyy).
NOTE: If this is event two for the Event Year, see the Entering New Leave Event for Existing Leave Year section below.
- Enter the Leave Effective Begin Date (mm/dd/yyyy).
- Do not enter the Leave Effective End Date until the leave is expired and you are closing the event.
- Enter the Eligibility Notification Date (mm/dd/yyyy) (Date approval letter sent to employee).
- Enter the Status Date (mm/dd/yyyy) (same as Leave Effective Begin Date).
- Select the Status from the down arrow.
- Select Reason from the down arrow.
- Duration defaults to Full Time and leave to the default.
- Do NOT enter information in the Duration Notes field.
- Tab to the Percent of Leave field. This is always 100%.
- If medical certification is required, check the Medical Certification Received box, and then enter the date the medical certification documents were received (mm/dd/yyyy) in the Received Date field.
NOTE: If medical certification is not required, leave the Medical Certification Received box Unchecked, but enter the Leave Requested Date (mm/dd/yyyy) in the Received Date field.
- If applicable, enter the Military Member Name, choose Relationship from the drop-down list, and enter Type of Care.
- If applicable, check whether or not Military Service Documentation was Received, and if so, enter the Military Documentation Date (mm/dd/yyyy).
- Fill in the Scheduled Back To Work section when you are closing the leave.
- Actual Back to Work fields should not be filled in unless you are closing the leave.
- Save the record.
Leave Event Record
Entering Leave Usage
If you will be entering Leave Usage, you must be on the correct Leave Effective Begin Date in the Leave Event Record before entering Leave Usage where you would enter Earnings Codes and Hours.
NOTE: For assistance completing information in the Leave Usage tab, please contact your Human Resources Office.
Enter Comments in the Comments tab.
NOTE: Comments should be an overview of the leave approval terms.
Entering a New Leave Event for an Existing Leave Year
- Follow steps 1-6 in the Placing Someone on Leave section above.
- In the Leave Event Record block, go to the Leave Requested Date field and arrow down until you reach a blank field to begin the next leave.
- Once a blank record is found, follow steps 7-22 in the Placing Someone on Leave section above.
NOTE: If multiple leaves are entered for the same leave year, the leaves will be displayed with the most recent leave showing first after the records have been saved. This version of Banner automatically knows what event year each individual event falls.