Topics Map > Human Resources > HR Systems
System HR - UIS Guidelines and Instructions for Re-Employment of a SURS Retiree
UIS Guidelines and Instructions for Re-Employment of a SURS Retiree
In compliance with the “Return to Work” legislation (Public Act 970968; HB4996), http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/97/097-0968.htm, changes have been made to the information necessary for reviewing Proposals for Re-Employment of SURS Employer Retirees (formerly labeled “Rehired Retirees”). Requests to appoint will be submitted using the “Proposal for Re-Employment of a SURS Employer Retiree” form, accompanied by a Statement of SURS Annuity Status, completed and signed by the proposed appointee.
Links to these required forms are:
- Proposal for Re-Employment of a SURS Employer Retiree: http://nessie.uillinois.edu/pdf/RRFormFinalV1.pdf
- Statement of SURS annuity Status: http://nessie.uilliois.edu/pdf/Statement OfAnnuityStatus.pdf
All appointments and reappointments of SURS Employer Retirees will require prior approval by the designated campus authority. Some will also require prior approval of the Board of Trustees.
The following categories of employment of SURS retiree candidates (proposed appointees) requiring campus authority approval and reporting to the Board include:
- Retired faculty re-employed to teach courses or advise students and perform other related services on part-time basis;
- Retired faculty or staff re-employed to conduct research on appointments funded by grants and contracts;
- Retired clinical faculty or other clinical professionals re-employed to provide patient care on a part-time or occasional basis (not applicable at UIS);
- Retirees re-employed in an hourly academic/research/faculty clinical capacity;
- Retirees re-employed as seasonal, hourly or extra help employee on a temporary basis;
- Retired employee being hired into a status Civil Service position;
- Retirees employed who are appointed on a temporary basis other than above to perform staff functions when other options are not feasible (explanation required).
If the proposed appointment falls into one of these categories, complete all sections of the Proposal as described on the form, attach a signed Statement of SURS Annuity Status and any supportive documentation, and submit to the appropriate reviewer:
- Faculty and Academic Professional appointments: Patti Sims, email@example.com, 217-206- 6616
- Civil Service or Extra Help: Joy Thibadeau, firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-206-7015
Copies of approved forms will be distributed to units following appropriate Chancellor/designee or Board approval. Once the request has been approved, an HR Front End transaction can be submitted for the appointment. The HR Front End transaction to hire or reappoint a SURS retiree must have an approved Proposal for Re-Employment of a SURS Employer Retiree” form attached in order for the transaction to be applied to Banner. Such appointments will have specified end dates, except permanent Civil Service positions.
Employment of SURS Annuitants beyond the circumstances noted above, even of SURS retiree candidates selected for University jobs at competitive salaries, hired through open and competitive search processes, will require both campus level review and approval and prior approval by the Board of Trustees
Before submitting a Proposal for Re-Employment of a SURS Employer Retiree, please review the policy regarding the limitations, responsibilities, costs and penalties associated with re-employing a SURS annuitant, which is available here: http://www.surs.com/legislation/2012/hb4996