Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Canvas@illinois.edu
Canvas Course Template Info for Sub-Account Admins
This details the process for requesting a Canvas course as a Template within the Canvas@Illinois environment
A course template within Canvas can be useful to provide a consistent experience for students, and include base content for all new courses in an account. Configuration for a course template can include course navigation, widely applicable content pages promoting school or departmental ethos, as well as module layout to help with pacing through a term. For additional information regarding course templates, please view this page, including the demonstration video: Courses: Course Templates (2021-05-15 Release) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)
Create a Canvas course template for your sub-account(s):
- The Canvas course will have to first be requested and built through the SRA:
- Once the space is built, the space owner should complete the setup of the template within Canvas, including any content, shared elements, etc.
- When the space is ready it can be defined as a template...this document details this process:
- To use a defined course template on a sub-account:
General requirements for Canvas Templates:
- there can be no members in the course (this includes Teachers, TAs, etc.)
- the course can be Published or Unpublished
- the course availability dates and term is irrelevant to this process
- the course can still be defined as a Blueprint
General behavior after defining a course as a template:
- the course title is appended with "Canvas Template"
- In a course listing the course has a new icon next to the course title
- the course template settings now show all accounts with which the course is associated
- there is no "People" page in the course
General behavior after defining a course template on a sub-account:
- When a course template is applied to an account or sub-account and a new course is created within the sub-account, the content from the course template is copied into the new course shell. Instructors added to the new course will have all content from the template but can still customize the course by adding new content, editing unlocked content, and adding LTI tools.
- template items are applied to all NEW courses in the sub-account