Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Canvas@illinois.edu
Canvas@Illinois, Prevent Students from Creating Their Own Groups
By default, students can create their own groups in Canvas courses (see How do I create a group as a student?). These can be used to independently create study groups, discussions, etc. that are not part of graded course assignments. However, instructors may want to prevent the ability to create groups in some courses. You can do this by either adjusting the course settings or hiding the People tab in the course navigation menu.
Adjust Course Settings
- Select Settings in the Course Navigation menu.
- Select the Course Details tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to select more options to view additional settings.
- Uncheck the Let students organize their own groups option.
- Select the Update Course Details button to save changes.
Hide the People Tab
To hide the People tab, you'll need to manage the Course Navigation links to disable People or move People below the "Drag items here to hide them from students" area. Be sure to select Save at the bottom of the page to save your changes!