Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > Google Apps @ Illinois
Email, Google Apps @ Illinois, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Faculty, Staff, and Graduate Students
This Google Apps article applies only to faculty, staff, and graduate students.Frequently asked questions about faculty and staff's Google Apps @ Illinois accounts.
- Google Drive (including Google Docs and Google Spreadsheets)
- Google Sites
- Google Talk and Hangouts
- Google Calendar
- Google Analytics
- Google Groups
Gmail is supported for existing accounts that still use it however it is no longer used for new accounts as Exchange has replaced it. Gmail is not available or supported for any Faculty and Staff members.
For detailed instructions on installing Google Drive File Stream on a Windows or Mac desktop, see Google Apps @ Illinois, Drive File Stream
Once the installation completes, you will be prompted to sign in. In order to log in with your Google Apps @ Illinois account, enter your NetID@illinois.edu email address with no password, and click the Sign in button. You will be redirected to the campus Single Sign-On where you can enter your NetID and campus password in order to complete the log in.
Can I share a Google Doc from a my personal Google account to my Google Apps @ Illinois account?
Yes. To work with a personal Google document in your new Google Apps @ Illinois account, simply log in to your personal Google account and share the Google Doc to your NetID@illinois.edu address with "Can edit" rights.
Can I transfer ownership of a Google Doc from a my personal Google account to my Google Apps @ Illinois account?
No you can NOT change document ownership across domains. However you can copy a document from your personal Google account to your Google Apps @ Illinois account. Here are the steps.
- Log in to your personal Google account and share the Google Doc to your NetID@illinois.edu address with "Can edit" rights.
- Log in to your Google Apps @ Illinois account.
- Open the shared document for which you want to change the ownership.
- From the File menu, click "Make a copy."
- In the Copy Document pop-up, select "Also copy document collaborators" if you want to share the new copy with the original collaborators.
- Click OK. Your Google Apps @ Illinois account is now the owner of the copied document.
Can I share a Google Drive folder with the public?
Yes, appropriate content can be made publicly available by creating a public Google Drive folder. Here are the steps:
- Create a new folder in the Google Drive web interface.
- Right click on the new folder and select "share..."
- Click the "get shareable link" button in the upper right.
- Click the "anyone at Google Apps @ Illinois with the link can view" pulldown.
- Select "more..."
- Select either "public on the web" (if the folder should appear in Google search results) or "anyone with this link" (if the folder should NOT appear in Google search results).
- Click save.
Now use the provided Google Drive link to share your folder content with anyone on the internet.
Your Google Workspace account will no longer be accessible 30 days after leaving the University or retiring. To keep your data, please use Google Takeout.