Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Canvas@illinois.edu
Canvas@Illinois, Enable and Access the Upload/Embed Image Tool
The Upload/Embed Image tool helps you quickly edit and search for images to add to your Canvas course sites. Though this tool is not as robust as something like Photoshop, it will allow you to do basic edits to images (like cropping/resizing) and search for high quality images (through Unsplash and Pexels) and embed them all directly within Canvas. You first need to enable and authorize the tool. After it's authorized, you'll have quick access to the tool through the Apps icon in the Rich Content Editor (RCE).
How To Enable the Upload/Embed Image Tool
To enable the Upload/Embed Image tool, you first need to be in edit mode of a page/assignment/etc. where you have access to the Rich Content Editor (RCE).
- With a page (or assignment) in edit mode, select the Apps button (the icon looks like a plug) to expand options.
- Select View All from the drop down menu.
- You'll see a pop out window for All Apps. Select the Upload / Embed Image option.
- Select the Authorize button to approve access.
- You'll then be able to use the Upload/Embed Image tool to add an image, search for an image from Unsplash or Pexels, or use a public URL to an image and make minor edits to the image before embedding it in your course.
After you access the Upload/Embed Image tool for the first time, you'll see the Upload/Embed Image option appear on the initial drop down menu when you select Apps whenever you're accessing the RCE.