Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Canvas@illinois.edu
Canvas@Illinois, Separate First and Last Names in Gradebook
By default, the Canvas gradebook will display a single Student Name column that includes both the first and last names of your students. However, you may prefer to separate the names so you can have a First Name column and Last Name column. This can be done by adjusting the View Options of your gradebook:
- With the gradebook open, select the Settings (gear) icon in the top right of your screen to open the tray.
- Select the View Options tab.
- Check the box to enable the Split Student Names option.
- Select the Apply Settings button to close the tray.
Once updated, you'll see separate columns for Student Last Name and Student First Name like the screenshot below.
- This change will also be respected and displayed in exported gradebooks (CSVs).
- If secondary information is displayed, it will only appear in the Last Name column.
For additional information, see the How do I view the Split Student Names column in the Gradebook guide in the Instructure Community.