Topics Map > SCS HR > HR - External

HR - Lists of Acceptable Documents for I-9

Acceptable Documents for I-9.


All documents must be UNEXPIRED

Employees may present one selection from List A OR a combination of one selection from List B AND one selection from List C 

List A
Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization 
List B
Documents that Establish Identity
List C
Documents that Establish Employment Authorization 
1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card

1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date or birth, gender, height, eye color, and address 1. A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions
2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa 3. School ID card with a photograph  2. Certification of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Forms DS-1350, FS-545, FS-240)
4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)  4. Voter's registration card 3. Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
5. For a non-immigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:
  1. Foreign passport; and
  2. Form I-94 or Form I-94A that has the following: 
    1. The same name as the passport and
    2. An endorsement of the alien's non-immigrant status as long as that period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form. 
5. U.S. Military card or draft record 4. Native American tribal document
6. Military dependent's ID card 5. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
8. Native American tribal document 6. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-79)
6. Passport from the federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating non-immigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI 9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority 

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above: 

7. Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security
10. School record or report card
11. Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
12. Day-care or nursery school record

Examples of many of these documents appear in the Handbook for Employers (M-274).

Refer to the instructions for more information about acceptable receipts.

Keywords(lists of acceptable documents), I-9, hiring, (employment authorization), employees, ID,   Doc ID106324
OwnerAshlee S.GroupSchool of Chemical Sciences
Created2020-10-01 23:10:56Updated2023-12-19 12:16:13
SitesUniversity of Illinois School of Chemical Sciences
Feedback  0   0