SCS Accident and Injury Response
Report all accidents and/or injuries that occur in SCS facilities in a timely manner.
1. Help the injured person
Assist with first aid if you feel comfortable doing so (providing first aid is NOT a condition of employment)
2. Alert other people
Notify, or have others notify, fellow coworkers, the PI/supervisor, safety officer, etc.
3. Ensure the area is safe
Secure and/or evacuate the area as appropriate
4. Determine the level of injury
Major – requires professional medical attention.
· Call 911 immediately.
· Arrange to have someone meet emergency personnel. Employees and/or students should NOT transport individuals with a major injury to the hospital.
Minor – offer medical care at a local healthcare facility
· Employees, including students who are compensated for their work, should visit Carle Occupational Medicine (217-383-3313) or Safeworks Illinois (217-356-6150) weekdays from 8:00AM-5:00PM and the Carle or OSF Heart of Mary Emergency Departments after hours and on weekends
· Students should visit McKinley Health Center (217-333-2701)
5. Report the accident to DRS and SCS Safety personnel and complete the “University First Report of Injury/Illness” form.
· Report form and further information available at:
If No Injury:
· Contact DRS via email at email@example.com or call them at 217-333-2755 to report the accident.
· For more information on Incident Reporting and Investigation go to the following website: https://www.drs.illinois.edu/Page/IncidentResponse/IncidentReportingAndInvestigation