Topics Map > Accounting > Service Activities
System Government Costing - SERFS Combined: Populating the Service Activity Rate Template
To complete the tabs in the Service Activity Rate Calculation Template, you will need to either run individual financial reports for the last completed fiscal year, or use the SERFS Combined report to pull your fund data in a single Excel workbook. See the System Government Costing - SERFS Combined Running the Webi Report job aid for detailed instructions on pulling the financial data.
Note: You will need to run the Equipment Depreciation report provided by SGC (System Government Costing) in addition to the SERFS Combined report to complete all tabs of a rate calculation workbook. Equipment Depreciation data is recorded in the university financial systems at the organization level rather than the fund level, therefore it does not pull as part of the relevant fund's SERFS report. Job aids for running the Equipment Depreciation webi and populating the Equipment Depreciation tabs of the Service Activity Rate Calculation Template are available from SGC.
To populate the Service Activity Rate Calculation Template with data from the SERFS Combined report, follow these steps:
- Locate and Open your saved excel file with fund data from the SERFS Combined Webi report.
- Note that there are 10 tabs in this workbook, most of which have similar names to the tabs in the Service Activity Rate Calculation Template.
- The following tabs are helpful for analysis and reference purposes; however, they do not generally contain the data you'll need to paste into the Service Activity Rate Calculation Template.
- SERFS Summary - Provides fund number, code, name, etc... as well as summary financial information.
- Fund Balance History - Provides a historic year end snapshot of the fund's balance, total expenditures and total revenue.
- Revenue Detail - Provides transaction level detail for revenue related transactions (based on account code) for the fiscal year.
- Spon Proj Summary - A summary of charges to all and 4A specific sponsored projects during the fiscal year.
- The remaining tabs all correspond directly to the data that was pulled using individual Webi reports for Expenditures, Salaries and Wages, and the Fund Balance.To populate the Service Activity Rate Calculation Template with data from these tabs, reference the detailed job aids for the corresponding tabs.
- Expenditures Detail and Expenditures Summary tabs - See System Government Costing - Expenditures and Transfers: Populating the Service Activity Rate Template
- Salaries Detail and Salaries Summary by UIN tabs - See System Government Costing - Salaries and Wages: Populating the Service Activity Rate Template
- Fund Balance tab - See System Government Costing - Fund Balance: Populating the Service Activity Rate Template
- When you have finished adding data to the Service Activity Rate Calculation template, click the Save button, or rename using Save As.
- You have now populated the template with financial data and are ready to start the rate calculation process.
- SGC offers extensive training for performing the actual rate calculation process. See "Training Available for Service Centers" on the Service Activities Resource page.