VTH Policy #Pharm634
Implementation Date: 10/2021
Date of Last Review: 3/22/2023
Next Review Due: 3/21/2025
Reviewed by VTH Administrative Team: 10/2021
Reviewed by VTH Board: N/A
Reviewed by Legal Counsel: N/A
Reviewed by Biosecurity Subcommittee: N/A
Subject to modification by the VTH Director without approval.
Intent of this policy is to describe the policy when prescribing and administering euthanasia. This covers Euthanasia use for VTH, VMSC and authorized off-premises use. Euthanasia must be retrieved, labeled, administered and discarded appropriately according to inpatient or off-premises use. Any unused Euthanasia will need to be recorded and wasted appropriately.
Controlled drugs must not be stored anywhere in the clinic besides in the Cubex machine and a countback will be required when removing a medication.
Procedure (if applicable)
Euthanasia for Inpatient Use
- Enter drug into the HIS and must be pinned off on both Doctor and Pharmacy worklists.
- Remove Euthanasia solution from Cubex, or lockbox. This should occur prior to administration. When removing your dose, verify the quantity matches the prescription dose ordered.
- If applicable, date and initial extra prescription label.
Euthanasia for Off-Premises
- Prescription for registered patient must be entered into the HIS as an Out-of-Hospital prescription and pinned off both worklists. Dispensing procedures must be followed.
- The Euthanasia solution will be drawn up in a syringe prior to veterinarian leaving the hospital.
- Once syringe is prepared and properly labeled, it will be placed in a locked tamper-safe transport bag.
- Extra label must be dated and initialed by individual removing drug from Pharmacy.
- Veterinarian must administer to patient off-premises and cannot be given to the client to administer.
- The transport bag and any remaining drug must be returned to the Dispensary as soon as possible after drug administration.
Wasting Controlled Substances (Euthanasia Solution)
- *Extra or unused Controlled Substances must not be stored for later use for other patients*
- When it is determined a medication needs to be wasted, fill out the waste log and have a second witness to verify the quantity and drug to be wasted.
- Once the waste has been recorded, dispense of the medication in the RxDestroyer container. Empty needles and syringes can then be placed in the sharps container.
Definitions (if applicable)
HIS : Health Information System
Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH): The collective clinical services of the Large Animal Clinic, Midwest Equine, the Small Animal Clinic, and the Veterinary Medicine South Clinic.