Health Information System Service Payments
VTH Policy # Bill304
|Implementation Date: 01/08/2019||Date of Last Revision: 05/09/2022||Next Review Due: 05/08/2024|
|Reviewed by VTH Administrative Team: 01/08/2019||Reviewed by VTH Board: N/A|
|Reviewed by Legal Counsel: N/A||Reviewed by Biosecurity Subcommittee: N/A|
Subject to modification by the VTH Director without approval.
When a service receives stock from the Medication Dispensary, drugs and supplies are charged to the service account in the Health Information System. An administrative adjustment will be made by the dispensary or business office personnel to charge the service for this stock.
If a service has received a drug and/or supply, a dispensary or business office member will charge accordingly, with a 5% markup fee, if applicable. To clear the service accounts, the procedure below will be followed to clear the account and bring it to a zero-dollar balance.
Procedure (if applicable)
When charges are added to a service account, a coordinating adjustment is required to charge the service. A member of the dispensary or the business office will apply the adjustment to the appropriate service FOP (see below) to ensure they are charged appropriately and in a timely manner. The administrative adjustment will be processed within one week of charges being entered to charge the service for the drugs and supplies.
Payment will be applied to the service account as follows:
- Use “5” on the command line in VetStar to enter payment after charges have been added to account
- Enter “P” for pharmacy
- Enter 25 for Large Animal payments and 26 for Small Animal adjustments
- Enter the appropriate DBF code as indicated in the pop-up on the account
- If the DBF code is expired, contact the business office for extension
- If the DBF has run out of funds, contact the business office to add funds
- Enter the amount of the payment
Note for the Related Accounting Effect of Transaction (Business Office Use Only):
- Transaction #1 – Adding the charge to the service account: dispensary or business office member recognizes revenue, and the corresponding expense sits in the clearing account until Transaction #2 is processed.
- Transaction #2 – Processing the administrative adjustment (payment) on the service account: Clearing account recognizes the revenue (netting to zero from the previous transaction) and the service recognizes the expense of the drugs/supplies.
|Account #||Department||Section||DBF Code||Reconciliation Date (at least weekly)|
|190343||Anesthesiology||Drugs Large Animal||ANESL|
|Drugs Small Animal||ANESS|
|191290||Cardiology Service||Drugs & Supplies||CC|
|206673||Clinical Skills Lab||Drugs & Supplies||CSL|
|191284||Dentistry Service||Drugs & Supplies||DENT|
|191709||Dermatology Service||Drugs & Supplies||DERM|
|72467||Equine Medicine/Surgery||Drug sales||EMS1|
|51750||ICU||ICU Section Charge||ICU|
|354683||IL Midwest Equine||Drugs & Supplies||IME|
|191285||Imaging & Radiation||Drugs & Supplies||RADS|
|432152||Intermediate Care Service||Drugs and Supplies||IMCDS|
|220956||Junior Surgery *Business Office Only||Drugs and Supplies||CVMSA|
|287720||Neurology Service||Drugs & Supplies||NEURO|
|191287||Oncology Service||Drugs & Supplies||ONCO|
|191288||Ophthalmology Service||Drugs & Supplies||OPHTH|
|378939||Radiation Oncology||Drugs and Supplies||RAONC|
|307149||Shelter Med Service||Drugs & Supplies||SMED|
|51699||Small Animal Medicine||ER Drug Sales||SAMER|
|Internal Medicine Charge||SAM|
|Primary Care Charge||SAMPC|
|Zoo Med Service Charge||ZM|
|51747||Small Animal Surgery||SAS Section Charge||SAS|
|391873||South Clinic||Drugs & Supplies||VMSC|
|435405||Theriogenology||Drugs and Supplies||IFC09|
|229392||Student Lab/Exam Rooms||Supplies||SL|
|174405||WMC *Business Office Only||Drugs and Supplies||N/A|
Definitions (if applicable)DE
VTH – The collective clinical services of the Large Animal Clinic, the Small Animal Clinic, and the Veterinary
Medicine South Clinic.