Client Account Credits
VTH Policy # Bill320
|Implementation Date: 05/23/2014||Date of Last Revision: 08/15/2022||Next Review Due: 08/14/2025|
|Reviewed by VTH Administrative Team: 05/21/2014, 01/30/2018||Reviewed by VTH Board: 05/22/2014|
|Reviewed by Legal Counsel: N/A||Revised VTH Director Approval: 02/19/2021|
Subject to modification by the VTH Director without approval.
When an incorrect charge is discovered on a client’s bill after the patient has been discharged from the hospital, a credit adjustment will be processed through the online adjustment form to remove the charge from the client’s account and, if appropriate, a refund will be made. The patient's medical record will be amended as appropriate.
Prior approval by the supervising faculty is required and credit adjustments should not be made the same day a patient is discharged from the hospital.
Examples of when a credit adjustment should be applied include:
- A duplicate charge was entered into the account. The Client was charged for a test or procedure that was not performed.
- A wrong procedure code was entered.
- Pharmacy returns.
- Feed sale returns.
- Deletion of charges by Medical Records staff when accounts are created in error and removed or when accounts are merged resulting in duplication of charges Section C adjustments shall only require a supervisor’s authorization.
- Procedures released on a VetStar /SANDI test account.
- Care of Remains HOLD charge (GM012)
Procedure (if applicable)
In order to process a credit adjustment, prior approval by a VTH faculty member is required. The Credit Adjustment form must be filled out using the online adjustment form (see below for instructions). The expense will be adjusted off the client’s bill once proper approval is obtained, and if appropriate the procedure removed from the patient’s medical history. Credit Adjustments are not to be done on the same day that a patient is discharged from the HIS.
Process for submitting the online adjustment form for a credit adjustment:
- Log In using your net ID and password
- Fill out the form for the current fiscal year
Enter applicable client information – choose credit adjustment – provide a reason for the adjustment and dollar amount of adjustment to be processed – save – route the form to proper approver – save.
Definitions (if applicable)
Credit Adjustment – A VTH member has determined that an expense has been assessed incorrectly to a client resulting in the need to adjust the client’s invoice and patient’s medical history.
Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) – The collective clinical services of the Large Animal Clinic, Midwest Equine, the Small Animal Clinic, and the Veterinary Medicine South Clinic.