VMSC Drug Returns
VTH Policy # VMSC008
Implementation Date: 10/2021
Date of Last Revision: 10/2021
Next Review Due: 10/2024
Reviewed by VTH Administrative Team: 10/2021
Reviewed by VTH Board: N/A
Approved by VTH Director: 10/2021
Reviewed by Biosecurity Subcommittee: N/A
Subject to modification by the VTH Director without approval.
To define what may be returned to drug room in VMSC and the process for doing so, this policy applies to all medications obtained from the drug supplies in VMSC. Unused medications that are unopened (injectable medications and fluids) or are intact and were stored correctly (tablets, capsules) may be returned to the VMSC drug room for credit prior to the patient being discharged from the hospital. No returns will be allowed if the medication has left the hospital or the patient has been discharged. Medications dispensed by the package (liquid Clavamox, Atopica, etc.) may not be returned for credit if opened/reconstituted. Compounded medications may not be returned for credit. No medications dispensed to a client may be returned for credit.
- All items must be returned to the VMSC drug room prior to the patient being discharged for credit to be applied.
- Medications must be returned in a state that allows for re-dispensing.
- Tablets and capsules must be intact and in correctly labeled bottles
- Medications sold by the package must be unopened
- Medications requiring reconstitution must not be reconstituted
- Injectable medications must still have the plastic top or metal covering attached
- Fluids must still be in the outer packaging (if dispensed originally that way)
- Medications dispensed directly to a client are not eligible to be returned for credit
- Items returned must contain patient information (name and MR#) to facilitate account credit
- Medications that do not meet the requirements for credit may still be brought to the pharmacy for disposal.
- Medications filled at the VMSC must be returned to VMSC stock (not VTH stock).
Procedure (if applicable)
To return medications for credit:
- Make sure each medication is packaged in such a way that it can be re-dispensed. This means that tablets and capsules are still intact, blister packs haven’t been punctured, things sold by the package aren’t opened, and things that need to be refrigerated or protected from light have been stored appropriately. Liquids poured from a stock bottle may not be returned for credit.
- Enter the patient’s charge screen and select the medication that is being returned. Edit the quantity to reflect what was actually used. If none was used and the line item needs completely deleted, email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the item be deleted.
- If the patient has already been discharged from the visit for which the medications were dispensed, the medication should be disposed of.
- Cross out the prescription number, MR# and patient name on the label and write ‘RTS’ on the label. Place the drug back in the same bin as the stock packaging. Do NOT put tablets/capsules back into a stock bottle.
Definitions (if applicable)
Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH): The collective clinical services of the Large Animal Clinic, Midwest Equine, the Small Animal Clinic, and the Veterinary Medicine South Clinic.