Canceling a University State of Illinois Controlled Substance License and DEA Registration
This SOP describes the process for canceling a fee-exempt university State of Illinois Controlled Substance License and DEA Registration when a license holder separates from the College.
Scope: This applies to when a person holds a fee-exempt university State of Illinois Controlled Substance License and DEA Registration separate from the College.
- DEA: Drug Enforcement Administration
- University DEA Registration: A DEA Registration is issued by the Federal government and will begin with 2 letters (total characters=9) and is associated with a university address and was marked fee-exempt
- State of Illinois Controlled Substance License: A ILCS license that begins with the prefix 097
- When a clinician’s clinical appointment is ending, they will be provided with information to contact the State of Illinois (IDFPR) and DEA (Springfield Resident Office) to cancel their university State of IL CS license and DEA Registration.
- The licensee is responsible for notifying IDFPR and DEA of their license status change.
a. Notification should take the form of a letter from the licensee stating that they want to cancel/terminate the State of Illinois Controlled Substance license and DEA Registration. The licensee/registrant should provide all identifiers (name, date, and address) and the license number. The final date of employment or research at the university should also be provided.
b. The letter should also indicate the disposition of all controlled substances in their possession (i.e., returned, fully used, or destroyed via a form 41). If no controlled substances were in the licensee/registrant’s possession, then this should be stated.
c. The notification letter should be emailed to the State of Illinois, IDFPR DrugCompliance Unit at FPR.DrugComplianceUnit@illinois.gov, faxed to the DEA Springfield Resident Office at 571-362-1878 and copied to the appropriate authorizing official outlined in policy number Pharm665.
- Quarterly, the Hospital Director will review a list of all individuals currently holding university DEA licenses for accuracy. The scheduling of these quarterly reviews will occur through coordination with an Illinois Drug Compliance Investigator. If any individuals on that list are no longer employed by the college, the Hospital Director will request their university licenses be canceled.
a. Emeritus professors may keep their university-associated licenses if continuing work requiring the license at the university, and must report the accurate address for where controlled substances are legally stored/used.