Process for Equipment Repairs
Last Update: 1/20/2022
Purpose/ Applicability: To establish the process for repairing VTH equipment.
Scope: Applies to all equipment owned by the VTH (Midwest Equine, Small and Large Animal Clinic and Vet Med South Clinic)
- BSC – Business Service Center
- PO – Purchase order
- P-TAG – A permanent tag placed on assets indicating its identification number used for inventory purposes.
- Asset – University/State purchased equipment
- SSN – Serial number
- Contact the BSC at email@example.com including the following information:
o Item description
o Serial number
o Description of what is wrong with the equipment
o Quote/relevant information from vendor, if already obtained (i.e. on-site evaluation versus shipping equipment requirements)
- BSC will evaluate terms/conditions with vendors and provide recommendation on a case by case basis, as terms and conditions vary greatly across vendors.
o If the equipment is covered, VTH business office personnel will contact the vendor covering the item directly for any repairs under the contract.
o If the item is not covered by contract, a quote will be obtained by VTH business office personnel, sent to the requesting service for approval, and sent to purchasing for a PO.
- If the vendor is coming on site
o Do not schedule the on-site visit until you have submitted and received a PO for the repair.
o Once the PO# has been confirmed, the vendor will receive a copy of the PO from an auto-generated message from University Purchasing. The vendor should reach out to coordinate the on-site repair.
- The individual submitting the original BSC ticket will also receive an update from the ticket system with the approved PO#
- Shipping to the vendor for repair
o Do not ship until you have submitted and received a PO for the repair, or you have received approval from BSC personnel to ship/pay by card.
o Record PTAG and SSN of any tagged Assets being shipped for record
o Notify Inventory Specialist via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with P-TAGS that are being shipped out for repair
o When Item is returned, notify Inventory Specialist via email at email@example.com that repaired item has been returned
- Rush repairs
o Repairs marked “rush”, “urgent” or “emergent” will be reviewed by the assigned Buyer and determined if the situation justifies a priority requisition.
- Per the guidelines set forth by Campus, “Conditions for an emergency purchase exists when there is a threat to public health or public safety; immediate expenditure is needed for repairs to university property in order to protect against further loss or damage; preventing or minimizing serious disruption in critical university services which affect health, safety, or collection of substantial revenues, or ensuring the integrity of university records. Rushes due to failure of submitting in a timely manner do not constitute as a priority.”
- A “rush” requisition requires a written justification for the transaction to be expedited.
- If Vendor deems tagged asset is unable to be repaired and does a warranty (no-cost) replacement. Notify Inventory Specialist via email at firstname.lastname@example.org requesting that the P-TAG # be updated with the new serial number of the replacement.
- If your service is aware of the terms of your warranty/service agreement with a vendor and the process for requesting urgent repairs, please continue to do so (i.e. NOVA). Reach out to email@example.com, should you have any questions regarding coverage