Topics Map > SANDI - Health Information Systems (HIS) > Training, Documentation & Videos > Charges
SANDI - Overview of Client & Procedure Discounts, Tax Status & More
Discounts can be at the client and procedure level.
Clients must be setup within the EMR to receive a discount based on VTH Policy #Bill312 here: Professional Discount Policy
- Clients can have up to a 20% discount depending on their affiliation details are in the Professional Discount Policy
- Discounts will be given to allowable procedures and items including VTH pharmacy, diagnostic, and referral lab charges.
Procedures must be setup within the EMR to allow or disallow a discount.
- If a procedure or item is set to NOT allow a discount in the EMR it overrides the customer discount, meaning the customer will NOT receive a discount on disallowed items.
Taxes and Exception
Clients can be setup as tax exempt in the EMR.
- The client MUST have a valid tax ID listed under their account or they can be charged taxes.
- If a Tax ID is NOT listed in the customers account in the EMR they will NOT receive tax exempt status if a taxable
- If the client has a valid Tax ID in the EMR they will NOT be charged normal taxes and they will NOT be charged the 2% Energy Recovery fee.
- Procedures can be setup to be within the EMR to allow or disallow a taxes. This is very important to check when billing seems to be off.
- A 2% Energy Recovery tax is charged in addition to normal taxes
The visit type that is used within EMR Charges is extremely important. There are Taxable and Non-Taxable Visits.
- If a non-taxable visit is chosen the normal taxes will NOT be applied but the 2% Energy Recovery fee WILL be applied.
- If a taxable visit is chosen then BOTH normal taxes and the 2% Energy Recovery fee will be charged on all allowable procedures/items.
- If a procedure or item is marked as non-taxable it will be excluded from receiving normal taxation.
Energy Taxes are applied if the following are true:
- Procedure must be set as taxable
- Client tax exempt ID blank
- Visit Type is Taxable
Understanding Client Billing
It is extremely important to take a holistic view of all the information above when researching billing issues.