Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > U of I Box
U of I Box, Service
What is U of I Box?
Box.com is now the University of Illinois' cloud service storage solution! To set up your U of I box account, start here.
Benefits of using U of I Box:
- Secure file storage in the cloud
- Individual storage accounts are larger than other cloud services: Unlimited online storage for students, faculty, and staff.
- Team Folder accounts are permanent for units, groups, and departments
- Provides secure legal storage for FERPA data
- Allows secure file sharing within or outside of the U of I network
- Is compatible with Blackboard-based applications such as Illinois Compass 2g
- Allows synchronization and collaboration on projects using Google Apps and other tools
NOTE: If you already have a Personal (free) Box.com account and would like to upgrade to a U of I Box Individual (Enterprise) account, see U of I Box, Accounts, Personal and Enterprise Account Conflict
If you wish to request a Team Folder that will belong permanently to your group or department, see U of I Box, Information and Requesting Shared Team Folders
Please note that while U of I Box is certified for the storage of FERPA-protected data (grades, assignments, etc.), U of I Box should NOT be used to store banking information, passwords, SSNs or other data classified as High Risk by the university’s Data Classification standard. (see https://cybersecurity.uillinois.edu/data_classification)