Topics Map > Communication and Collaboration > cPanel Web Hosting
cPanel, What domain names can I use for my website? What domain names can't I use?
You can use these kinds of web.illinois.edu subdomains:
- Your own NetID
- A third level domain that you own under illinois.edu, if you contact us to arrange for that domain to be given to you
- (for example, if you already own departmentname.illinois.edu, contact us and we can arrange for you to own departmentname.web.illinois.edu as well)
- Most unclaimed domains between 9 and 16 characters in length
You can't use these kinds of web.illinois.edu subdomains:
- Someone else's NetID
- A domain name of 8 or fewer characters, because it could be someone's NetID
- A third level domain that belongs to someone else
Domain names are subject to review by Technology Services.
Getting another type of custom domain
If you want to get a custom domain that doesn't involve "web" (for example, somewhere.illinois.edu or somewhere.org), see cPanel, How to get a custom domain .